26 January 2011

Messed Up My Netbook

I've had Ubuntu installed on my netbook for some time now. Recently, I've been getting error messages saying the system is very low on disk space (not surprising, since it's only 4GB on the drive). So after thinking about it for a while, I decided to remove Ubuntu and install one of the lighter versions of Linux. I did some research, and decided the best options would be either Puppeee or SliTaz Linux. I've tried them both now, and they both run very well in RAM. My netbook is faster than ever. Both of them will install to the internal drive. But neither of them will boot from the internal drive. Grub errors. I suspect what's going on is that the mount point of the internal drive changes when the external drive is no longer attached, and the Grub can't find the operating system.  I don't have any more time to work on it today, but I'm going to do some more research and see if I can find a solution.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Hidden in Snow (Viveca Sten)

  Snow. Cold. Mountains. Darkness. You find these things a lot in Nordic Noir. And while Viveca Sten isn't usually included in lists of ...