28 June 2013

First 10 Songs, 28 July 2013

It's time to start some music lists again. Instead of what's on my iPod (which I don't use as much anymore) I'll be listing the first 10 songs that come up when I put my Pandora account on shuffle. Today's list has some really good ones:


  1. "Yesterday Once More" (CarpentersNow and Then) - After all these years, still my favorite group, and one of their best songs. I probably have the worst Carpenters crush in history!
  2. "One More Try" (George MichaelLadies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael) - George Michael is another of my all-time favorite singers. I've liked him since the first moment I saw "Wake Me Up" on MTV, lo these many years ago. His voice and range is superb, and his songs always move me.
  3. "Be Still My Soul" (The TalleysPraise for the Ages) - Not sure why this came up. I think I need to review my Pandora stations. It's OK, but not really my kind of music.
  4. "Penny in the Well" (Emerald RoseBending Tradition) - This is a treat! A song I haven't heard from one of my favorite Celtic Revival bands. If you haven't heard Emerald Rose, you really should give them a listen.
  5. "Limelight: Live in Rio" (RushRush in Rio: Live) -  A great song, but this isn't one of my favorite recordings. Let's face it - if you're not actually there, Rush is much better in studio than live.
  6. "Caribbean Blue" (EnyaShepherd Moons) - What can I say? I love Enya, and this is one of my favorites. She's really the closest thing I have to a replacement for the loss of Karen Carpenter.
  7. "I Won't Last a Day Without You" (Carpenters: A Song for You) - Clearly, Pandora knows me. Another great Carpenters song today (not that there are any bad ones).
  8. "Blue Oyster Cult" (Shonen Knife: 712) - I know, it's strange, but I really like Shone Knife. Maybe it's part of my fascination with all things Japanese, maybe they're just really good! With music like this, who cares?
  9. "Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)" (Stan Getz, with Astrud Gilberto: Getz Au Go Go) - The work Getz did with Gilberto produced, in my opinion, some of his best ever. His smooth jazz backing Gilberto's wonderful voice makes for some delicious music.
  10. "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Sinead O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got) - I've always liked O'Connor, no matter what she does. I also really like sad love songs, and this is one of the best broken-heart songs ever.
So there's today's list. Let's see what happens tomorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Hidden in Snow (Viveca Sten)

  Snow. Cold. Mountains. Darkness. You find these things a lot in Nordic Noir. And while Viveca Sten isn't usually included in lists of ...