23 May 2014

Currently Reading: Fiction and Nonfiction

Books are pretty important to me. So what am I currently reading? Only two books right now. I'm trying to get to where I only read one book at a time.

First, I'm reading The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries, by Emily Brightwell.  I like genre fiction, and I've been meaning to try this series for quite some time. It's not bad. The story is good, although the writing is not to my taste. The two main characters seem very much of a type: the clueless inspector, in over his head, and his brilliant housekeeper who pretty much leads him by the hand in solving his cases. I'm not sure I like those characters. I hope later books improve. I'm a little over halfway through, and as I usually do with mysteries, I haven't let myself think about who might have done it. I like to be surprised, so I let myself get carried along by the story. This one is easy to read, but not so easy to care about the people in it. I'll finish the book, but I'm not sure I'll read more of the series.

The second book I'm reading, I just started the other day. Marcus Borg's Meetiing Jesus Again for the First Time. This is a good book, very different from the other I'm reading now. It's not easy reading. I'm only about 10 pages into the book, so there's not a lot I can say about it. I'll finish it, and I believe I'll enjoy it. I'm working on a list of books about Postmodern Christianity, and this is the first on my list.I may put the list on this site, just in case anyone else is interested.

So what are you reading right now? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Hidden in Snow (Viveca Sten)

  Snow. Cold. Mountains. Darkness. You find these things a lot in Nordic Noir. And while Viveca Sten isn't usually included in lists of ...